Big South foe Coastal Carolina will make its first ever visit to Roy Kidd Stadium Saturday evening when the Eastern Kentucky University football team welcomes the Chanticleers to Richmond. The game, which kicks off at 6 p.m., can be seen for free on the OVC Digital Network.
This non-conference FCS match-up could have potential playoff implications later in the season. Both teams enter the game nationally ranked – EKU is No. 25 in this week's FCS coaches' poll while Coastal Carolina is slotted No. 21 in both major FCS polls.
Eastern (1-1) is looking to rebound after falling at Louisville last weekend. On offense, junior QB Jared McClain has done an excellent job of spreading the ball around. Twelve different players have caught a pass over the first two weeks including redshirt freshman WR Jeff Glover, who leads the team in receptions (six) and receiving yards (77).
The Colonel defense failed to produce a turnover for the first time in 13 games in the loss to Louisville. However, EKU has held the opposition to just 66.5 yards rushing per game this season, which ranks eighth nationally among FCS teams.
Coastal Carolina (2-0) is the defending Big South champion and picked up a first round win in the 2012 FCS playoffs. The Chanticleers never trailed last week in its 35-28 win over Furman. LB Quinn Backus was named Big South Defensive Player of the Week after recording 15 stops, a tackle for loss and an interception returned for a score versus the Paladins.
In last year's meeting, Eastern Kentucky outgained Coastal Carolina on the ground, 217-106, on the way to a 35-17 victory.
This weekend is Family Weekend at Eastern Kentucky University. The football game is just one activity on the Family Weekend schedule. For more information on Family Weekend, contact First Year Programs at 859-622-1682.
For the second straight home game, fireworks will be on display before and after the contest. Also, the EKU Bookstore is holding an in-game promotion to give away free textbooks to a lucky student.
Following this game, the Colonels will make the trek to Morehead State on Sept. 21. This will be the first meeting between the two teams in Morehead since 1993.
--Click here for EKU game notes.
--Click here for the Coastal Carolina football web site.
--Click here for Coastal's game notes.
-- Saturday's game can be seen on the web for FREE at the new OVCDigitalNetwork.com.
--Saturday's game can be heard locally on WCYO 100.7 FM. Click here for live radio broadcast! WCYO is now streaming on most mobile devices. Download the TuneIn Radio app, available for iPhone/iPod/iPad, Android, Blackberry, Palm and Windows Phone.
--Click here for live stats!
Twitter: @EKUSports, @EKUFootball, #GoBigE
--Tickets are available by calling the EKU ticket office at 859-622-2122. The ticket office will open at the football stadium Saturday at 4:30 p.m. The ticket box office is now accepting these major credit cards - Visa, MC, Discover and American Express. Stadium gates will open at 4:30 p.m.
--Click here for directions to Eastern Kentucky University.
--Saturday's forecast in Richmond calls for sunny skies and a high of 72 degrees. Sunset is set for 7:46 p.m., with temperatures dropping to near 50 degrees at night.
--In six years under head coach Dean Hood, the Colonels are 6-8 against ranked FCS teams. Last season, Eastern was 1-1 against such foes with a win over No. 24 Jacksonville State and a loss to No. 24 Tennessee State.
--Junior QB Jared McClain needs 162 yards passing to reach 1,000 for his collegiate career. McClain leads the OVC in completion percentage (70.6 percent) and passing efficiency (153.1) this season.
--Junior K Andrew Lloyd has tallied four touchbacks on nine kickoffs this season. EKU totaled just eight touchbacks spanning the previous two seasons.
• The Alumni Coliseum east side parking lot will close at 11 p.m. on Friday night before the game. Any cars remaining in the lot after that time are subject to tow. The lot will reopen Saturday morning at 9 a.m.
• A reminder to Colonel Club members: an alternate route to the Colonel Club parking area is available by entering near Model School.
• Alternate parking areas include: Brockton Lot, located off Van Hoose Drive and behind the Brockton Apartments; Greg Adams Tennis Complex Lot, located across the Bypass from Roy Kidd Stadium.
• Please use one parking space per car or truck.
• Because of the large amount of pedestrian traffic that occurs on Kit Carson Drive after each home football game, Kit Carson Drive will be closed to southbound traffic from the Park Drive intersection to the Van Hoose intersection and will be closed to all traffic from the Van Hoose intersection to the Eastern Bypass intersection after each home game. This closing will occur at the end of each game and will last normally for a period of thirty (30) to forty-five (45) minutes. However, the closing may occur earlier and last longer than anticipated depending on traffic conditions and the size of the crowd.
To ensure that you and all fans have a positive tailgating experience, we ask that you observe the following guidelines:
• All state and local laws must be observed.
• Responsible alcohol consumption will be allowed in designated locations in the Colonel Club and Alumni Parking lots for attendees age 21 or older only.
• For safety reasons, all beverages shall be consumed from plastic or paper cups and not in cans or bottles.
• Kegs are not permitted.
• Please clean up your tailgating area before going to the game or leaving the parking area.
• Please behave in an appropriate and responsible manner. Throwing objects or climbing on vehicles is not permitted.
Handicapped Ticket Information
• The handicapped seating area at Roy Kidd Stadium is located on top of the hill in the end zone opposite the scoreboard.
• Patrons must purchase a General Admission ticket to watch the game from this area.
• Patrons are welcome to have a companion sit with them in the area. Folding chairs are provided for any guests that need them.
• The handicapped accessible restrooms are located inside the Begley Building, behind section A under the ramp from the student entrance.
• Handicapped parking is available in the Moberly Lot past the Stadium off Roy and Sue Kidd Way on the right from the Bypass.