Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky University
LP Field, Nashville, Tenn., Aug. 31, 2013
Team Records and Series Notes
- This was the season opener for both teams.
- Kentucky leads the WKU series 3-2, including 1-1 in games played in Nashville.
- Kentucky began its 123rd season of intercollegiate football.
- UK has a record of 83-35-5 in season openers, including a 13-19-1 mark away from home.
- This was the sixth straight season that UK has opened away from home. UK is 4-2 in those games.
- Mark Stoops was in his first game as a head coach.
- In the modern era (post-World War II) of college football, Kentucky coaches have a 5-6-1 record in their first game with the Wildcats.
- Kentucky has a record of 3-3 in games played at LP Field, including 2-2 in the Music City Bowl and 1-1 in regular-season games.
- Kentucky is 7-3 all-time against the current alignment of the Sun Belt Conference.
- Kentucky opens the home schedule Saturday, Sept. 7, against Miami (Ohio) with a noon kickoff on Fox Sports South.
- Raymond Sanders moved up a spot to 28th place in school history with 1,176 career rushing yards, after he rushed for 98 yards on Saturday.
- Sanders finished two yards short of what would have been his third-career 100-yard game.
- Sophomore quarterback Jalen Whitlow rushed for a career-high 75 yards.
- Senior linebacker Avery Williamson has a streak of 20 consecutive games with at least three tackles.
- Williamson finished with a game-high 14 total tackles, six solo. It was his ninth-career game with double-digit tackles.
- His career high was 20 vs. Vanderbilt in 2012.
- Williamson recovered a fumble in the first quarter. It was his second-career fumble recovery.
- Sophomore linebacker Khalid Henderson finished with a career-high 10 total tackles (four solo).
- He forced his first career fumble in the first quarter.
- Sophomore cornerback Fred Tiller recovered a fumble for the first time in his career.
- Tiller finished with seven total tackles (four solo). His career high was eight tackles in 2012 vs. Georgia.
- Senior kicker Joe Mansour, who has kicked off his first three seasons, attempted his first placekicks as a Wildcat.
- Mansour was 2-of-2 on the night, converting from 22 and 33 yards.
- Junior defensive end Alvin “Bud” Dupree has a streak of 16 consecutive games with at least three tackles.
- He finished with three total tackles, one solo.
- Freshman defensive back Blake McClain forced his first career fumble.
- He finished with seven total tackles.
- Eleven Wildcats made their first-career starts, including five on offense and six on defense.
- The offensive first-time starters were freshman center Zach Myers, sophomore offensive tackle Jordan Swindle, sophomore wide receiver Daryl Collins, junior wide receiver Javess Blue and junior offensive guard Teven Eatmon-Nared.
- The defensive first-time starters were junior defensive end Za’Darius Smith, junior linebacker Kory Brown, sophomore linebacker Khalid Henderson junior cornerback Nate Willis, junior safety Eric Dixon and sophomore cornerback Fred Tiller.
- Kentucky’s team captains were senior running back Raymond Sanders, senior linebackerAvery Williamson, senior defensive tackle Mister Cobble and senior offensive guard Kevin Mitchell.